Women in Technology (WIT), a not-for-profit organization that aims to broaden the female pipeline into the technology community, last week announced the winners of its 15th annual Leadership Awards Banquet held at the Hyatt Regency in Reston, Va.
The ceremony honored 14 D.C. area women who exemplify leadership, vision and success in the technology industry — a field within which men tend to predominate.
WIT seeks to empower women to be “architects of change” in the industry by providing its approximately 1000 members advocacy, networking opportunities, technology education, leadership and mentoring, according to the organization’s website.
WIT President Phyllis Kolmus, a deputy group director at AT&T Government Solutions, spoke to the Leadership Banquet’s significance.
“WIT is pleased to shine a spotlight on this year’s very deserving Leadership Award finalists and winners. These women demonstrate proven commitment, talent and success in the technology industry and a willingness to lend a hand to those striving to follow in their footsteps,” Kolmus said in a WIT press statement. “It’s because of these women and the amazing volunteers in our organization that WIT is able and proud to celebrate 20 years as a resource to women to support both personal and professional achievements as well as help drive the success of our region’s thriving technology community.”
The awards recognized notable individuals within the following categories:
· Corporate: Private Sector Large Business: Lisa Hook, Neustar
· Corporate: Private Sector Small Business: Carol Cornman, PRISM Inc.
· Corporate: Public Sector Large Business: Elaine Turville, Accenture Federal Services
· Corporate: Public Small Business: Maria Canfora, Cvent
· Entrepreneur: Anjali “Ann” Ramakumaran, Ampcus Inc.
· Government: Kim Robson, NGA
· Innovative Technology: Alice Fakir, Booz Allen Hamilton
· Rising Star: Mari Spyker, Blackstone Technology Group
· Social Impact IT: Dr. Jandelyn Plane, University of Maryland
· Unsung Hero: Susan Burke, Freddie Mac
· WIT Champion: Denise Hart, O2 Lab Inc.
· Founders Award: Valerie W. Perlowitz, Founding Partner, International Holding Company LLC
· President’s Award: Kathy Furlong, LexisNexis and Donna Kilbourn, Unanet Technologies
· The Women on Boards Leadership Award: Lockheed Martin, accepted by Sondra L. Barbour, Executive Vice President of Lockheed Martin’s Information Systems & Global Solutions (IS&GS) business area and an officer of the Lockheed Martin Corporation.