Women in Technology (WIT) recently announced the winners of the 14th Annual Leadership Awards. The awards ceremony was held April 18th at the Hyatt Regency Reston in Reston, Va. The awards recognize female professionals who have excelled as mentors, and have shown unique vision as well as embody the WIT mission.
“New innovations and developments in technology continue to change our society dramatically,” said Nancy Lamberton, president, WIT. “These women not only embraced these technical advancements in the industry, but also focused on paving the way for the next-generation of female professionals by providing mentorship and a vision for the future. WIT honors these leaders and organizations for their dedication, talent and success in the industry and advocating for women in technology at all levels.”
Gracia C. Matore, President and CEO of the Gannett Company Inc., accepted the award for WIT’s inaugural Corporate Leadership for Women on Board. The firm was recognized for its gender diversity on its corporate board and raising awareness for diversity in the technology industry. Women make up 30 percent of the company’s Board of Directors and includes a female chairman, compared to 10 percent average of all Washington, D.C. area public companies.
Other winners of the Leadership Awards include the following:
- Corporate: Private Sector Large Business: Elaine Anderson, CSC
- Corporate: Private Sector Small Business: Mary Knebel Gillespie, Alarm.com
- Corporate: Public Sector Large Business:Julie Taylor, SAIC
- Corporate: Public Sector Small Business: Angie Lienert, Intelligenesis, LLC
- Entrepreneur: Dawn Halfaker, Halfaker and Associates
- Government:Lorraine Landfried, Department of Veteran Affairs
- Health IT: Stephanie Pincus, National Academies of Science (Institute of Medicine)
- Rising Star: Marlene Roush, SAIC; Stacy Tedesco, D.C. Public Schools, Thomson Elementary
- Social Impact IT: Donna Rice Hughes, Enough is Enough
- Unsung Hero: Nora Robertson, Navy ERP
- WIT Champion: Kelly Moore, AT&T
- President’s Award: Colleen Oresky; Chair Sponsor Committee; Deb Hennessy; Chair GIT Share Our Success Events
- Founders Award: Nanci Schimizzi; FINRA
Gannett’s award win was determined using data of the top local companies with 25 percent or more female board representation. Other recipients were chosen using different criteria.