The Small and Emerging Contractors Advisory Forum, better known as SECAF, named the winners of its Ninth Annual Government Contractor Awards on May 9. More than 500 people attended the flagship event, which honors small and emerging government contractors and the players in the industry who rely on small businesses.
Winners were chosen from a record pool of well-qualified applicants by a team of nearly 30 regional business leaders from this year’s Selection Committee. Award winners were then selected in nine categories by a group of judges, including Cynthia Barreda (president, Netcentrics), Shiv Krishnan (president, INDUS), Kevin Robbins (co-founder, Blue Delta Capital Partners, and co-founder of Wolf Den Associates), and Peter Schulte (principal, CM Equity).
“It is an extraordinary privilege to recognize SECAF’s 2017 winners,” said Cameron Hamilton of The McLean Group LLC, one of the co-chairs of the event and SECAF chairman of the board. “Year in and year out, the caliber of companies that make it into this elite group are stellar examples of innovation, dedication, strategy and leadership. These tenets of the small business government contractor community allow the industry as a whole to reach higher levels.”
Seven categories of awards were presented at the event:
- Government Contractor of the Year — Recognize companies in three revenue categories that have shown a compelling and profound commitment to excellence in growth and financial performance.
- Award of Excellence — Highlights an organization that represents excellence within its community, the government contracting industry and toward employees.
- Government Project of the Year — Given to a company that has delivered an exemplary program with significant tangible and intangible value to the federal government.
- Small Business Partner of the Year — Awarded to a large business that has demonstrated its ability to establish and support mentorships, teaming, partnerships and other beneficial programs for small businesses.
- Special Recognition Award — Presented to a small business that – in the judges’ view – exemplifies many of the core qualities of the other SECAF awards and has a strong focus on providing services and solutions that are useful and relevant to customers.
- Government Advocate of the Year — Awarded to someone who has provided leadership, commitment and direction and had a profound and positive impact on the small and emerging contracting community.
- Advocate of the Year — Recognizes a member who tirelessly championed the organization’s mission.
The 2017 winners are:
- Government Contractor of the Year — Firebird AST (Less than $6 million); Dynamo Technologies, LLC. ($6 million-$12 million) and Spear, Inc. ($12 million-$25 million)
- Award of Excellence — Strategic Resolution Experts, Inc.
- Government Project of the Year — Unissant
- Small Business Partner of the Year — DynCorp International
- Special Recognition Award — Nationwide IT Service, Inc.
- Government Advocate of the Year — Todd Richards, General Services Administration
- SECAF’s Advocate of the Year — Sue Evans, Evans, Inc.
“Congratulations to SECAF’s 2017 winners and this year’s finalists for their exceptional contributions to the GovCon community,” Hamilton said. “Once again, we are very proud to be affiliated with this tremendous group.”