The American Council for Technology and Industry Advisory Council (ACT-IAC) announced Oct. 27 that it awarded Kay Kapoor, President of AT&T Government Solutions, the Janice K. Mendenhall Spirit of Leadership Award for her contributions to the federal information technology (IT) community.
Kapoor was among seven individuals recognized for their demonstrated leadership and commitment to public service at the ACT-IAC 2014 Executive Leadership Conference (ELC) in Williamsburg, Va.
Established in 2001, the Janice K. Mendenhall Spirit of Leadership Award commemorates the life of long-time civil servant Janice Mendenhall, a leader who was known for her dedication to mentoring others and strengthening government and industry relations. The award is the highest tribute bestowed upon an ACT-IAC member.
Robert Suda, IAC Vice Chair and long-time colleague of Mendenhall, presented Kapoor with the award in recognition of her long history of leadership and commitment to creating a more effective government.
During her career, Kapoor has sought the development of innovative, effective technology solutions to support government. She has also made time to encourage and mentor the younger generation – especially women. Kapoor has been a long-time supporter and participant in ACT-IAC and other non-profit organizations, such as the American Red Cross. She also serves on the advisory board of Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government.
Suda noted that Kapoor’s leadership in a variety of fields and her commitment to the development of others is in the best tradition of the Mendenhall Award.
Other awards presented at the ELC included:
- ACT-IAC Leaders Award to John Grant, Director, Customer Accounts and Research, GSA and Kimberly Purlia, Managing Partner of Purlia Parris and chair of the new ACT-IAC Small Business Alliance
- ACT-IAC Individual Contributor of the Year Award – Government to Charles Santangelo, Senior IT Policy and Budget Advisor, Department of Homeland Security
- ACT-IAC Individual Contributor of the Year Award – Industry to Allen Ashbey, Director of Business Development, Sapient
- ACT-IAC Rookie of the Year Award to Jared Townshend, Senior Manager, Deloitte
- ACT-IAC Ginny McCormick New Heights Award to Rabiah Sutton, Executive, FWDThink