WashingtonExec reached out to area executives to gain insight and share local “secrets to success” stories. Today’s 10 second advice comes from Joe Doherty, Executive Vice President and COO of the Government Solutions Sector at ACS, a Xerox Company.
1) Treat others how you want to be treated.
2) There’s a direct correlation between the amount of luck you have and how hard you work.
3) It’s hard to be a leader behind a closed door. Walk around and know your co-workers– from the front desk to the big offices.
4) If you aren’t present, you’re absent. Our people notice, as do our customers.
5) Keep the job that has you excited enough to get out of bed and hit the ground running before the alarm goes off.
6) Be interested in what people do outside the office. Ask questions and remember the answers.
7) Use your gut. Have a sixth sense into people’s morale and proactively respond to it.
8) Details matter. Be timely in responding to email, correspondence and phone calls.
9) Walk tall. Be an example in and out of the office.
10) Don’t ever forget the importance of rules #1 through #9.